A BAREFOOT ACTIVITY FOR KIDS AGES 4+
In The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales, we learn how many different cultures relate to the environment around us. Bring the messages of the stories home and keep the birds in your garden happy and healthy with this easy-to-make, environmentally friendly feeder.
What to Find
What to do
1. Loop the string under the top scales of the pine cone and tie it in a tight knot.
2. Mix the peanut butter and the oats together in a bowl.
3. Push the mixture into the pine cone, filling the spaces between the scales. Spread the mixture over the surface of the pine cone.
4. Pour some birdseed into the shallow dish.
5. Roll the pine cone in the birdseed until it is well covered.
6. Hang the pine cone feeder in your garden for the birds to enjoy!
The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales
Packed with 7 hands-on activities, this gorgeous anthology of traditional tales from around the world promotes a sustainable lifestyle and keeps kids busy! Follow the Sun Mother, a brave Comanche girl and a thoughtful Welsh couple, and you'll see how the culture-crossing, centuries-old practice of green living is perhaps more relevant today than ever before. It's the perfect intercultural anthology for the young naturalist or backseat traveler!
Retold by Dawn Casey Illustrated by Anne Wilson