A BAREFOOT ACTIVITY FOR KIDS AGES 2+
In the first few pages of Out of the Blue, children collect seashells and rocks from the beach and create artwork with them. You can do the same! First you will examine and sort your shells using the included guides, and then you will create a picture frame keepsake with your beach treasures. Check out the back side of this sheet for some fun facts about shells!
WHAT YOU NEED
• Shells (collected or purchased)
• Wooden or cardboard picture frame (can be purchased at craft store)
• Craft glue
• Shell identification guide (included in the Activity Sheet)
• Shell sorting sheet (included in the Activity Sheet)
WHAT TO DO
1. What kind of shells do you have? Identify your shells using the included guide. Sort your shells! Sort your shells using the included shell sorting sheet. Which ones feel smooth? Rough? Count how many of each! Which kind do you have more and less of? Which do you think are bivalves? Univalves? (See definitions on the back of the Activity Sheet.)
2. Color your frame (optional)
3. Decorate your frame with shells. Attach the shells to the frame using craft glue. Allow glue to dry completely.
4. Insert your favorite summertime photo or draw your own seashore picture!
Out of the Blue
What will the storm bring up from the deep blue sea? With this stunning wordless book, you'll choose your own words to tell the story that unfolds! Follow Alison Jay's distinctive