A BAREFOOT ACTIVITY FOR KIDS OF ALL AGES
Yoga provides a wonderful way for children and adults to explore their bodies, hearts and minds.
Countless children in classrooms, therapeutic settings and their own homes have benefited from the yoga poses.
Try these four activities from Yoga Pretzels. Yoga is not about making the pose perfect; it’s about enjoying the process. Remember — have fun!
• Work on a clean floor — a carpet or wood with a mat is ideal, with enough space for you to stretch, move, play and relax.
• Remember to do each pose on both sides.
• Wear comfy clothes that move with you when you bend and stretch.
• Yoga should feel good even when it’s challenging, so don’t force or strain. If you feel resistance or pain, stop immediately. Yoga is about loving and learning how to work with yourself.
• Wait at least an hour after eating to start yoga.
• Move slowly in the poses while breathing fully and easily. Concentrate on the process, being mindful of how you feel and what is right for your body. Don’t struggle. There’s no competition or finish line.
• Observe the illustrations closely and follow them as best you can for correct and safe physical alignment.
TWIST & STRETCH
These poses are wonderful for exercising and toning inside and out. Use them to unwind, let go of stress and tension and renew yourself. Take them slowly, one step at a time, breathing evenly, and discover how deep you can go!
Breathing exercises help us to slow down, increase awareness and make non-reactive choices. These poses will help you to focus your mind and body. They can be used individually or as part of a longer routine.
Forward bends help to calm you so that you can be peaceful inside. They stretch and strengthen your legs and help to open your spine and chest. They are a good warm-up for back bends, but can also be used anywhere in your practice.
Back bends are great energizers. They complement forward bends and help you to open your heart and build trust in yourself. We recommend that you do back bends after you have warmed up.